up front

esightler Design is upfront

Monday, April 13, 2009

A Decorated Chanteuse







Sometimes some things just work really nicely...

Myra Flynn is a chanteuse, a songwriter, a large and lovely-hearted soul and a maven of all that is chic (myraflynn.com).

A couple months back
I was up late one night designing a necklace and halfway through I realized it was for her. I thought: Great. I don't even know Myra Flynn. If I was a creepy stalker-type this might be a completely different post, but for me, making jewelry is about being honest and opening up and saying "OK" . So, I had to agree to just let it grow. I contacted her manager - a friend of mine - and told him that I had some jewelry to give Myra. He responded with a chuckle and said: "Of course you do, people always give stuff to Myra, that's just who she is". After some jockeying for gratitude between Myra and me...."Thank you!", No, thank you! NO THANK YOU!!!".... we have come to a mutual understanding that it's OK for me to make stuff for her, and it's OK for her to take it, wear it and love it up a bit. It has turned into something quite beautiful. I refill a "box" of jewelry (A big, gaudy, gold mirrored former "treasure box") for Myra every few weeks and in exchange I use her gorgeous pictures wearing my Myra Inspired work. She has also invited me to sell my Myra Inspired Designs at her shows - which are always Hot, Hot, Hot.

She is as nice as she is foxy and brilliant. God - or something like that - gave to her from both hands. I will - from time to time - be sharing some of these designs in a Myra Flynn Line on Etsy and here on this blog. I will sell them exclusively on Etsy and (occasionally) at her shows in very limited editions.

This is great honor for me. And it's also just really nice to work with someone who is beautiful inside and out. I realize more and more that even with how rocky the path of life can be, the pinnacles and scenic overlooks are always there just when you need them. This has been a particularly trying year for me and my family - and having an outlet for artwork, as well as being able to create for someone young and vibrant and artistic reminds me of how inspiring this lifetime can be. I think I forgot some of that along the brambles, vines and stumbling rocks of the past couple years. Losing my innocence in the last few years should not necessarily equate to losing track of gratitude and my penchant for good fortune.

So, the jewelry: The first picture is a resin crystal necklace with Czech brocade glass beads and vintage brass. It looks outrageous on her. The two circles pieces are made with vintage brass chain and mother of pearl rings, in salmon and cream with brass jumprings and brass hardware and findings. The necklace measures about 16 inches, with a two inch extender. The earrings fall a full 5 inches. I will post more as it is created. You can always check my website for recent Myra Designs: esightler.etsy.com.

Thank you for supporting handmade arts from a happy artist in the Green Mountain State...Life is Better Decorated



No comments: